This text is just not a political evaluation. As we have now too many articles lately, I’ve no intention of tiring readers with an extended article. This text just makes a call. It is a call comparable to the previous “የእናት ሀገር ጥሪ”. It’s an invite to the former members of the historical Ethiopian armed forces. Though the situation on this article is of interest to the wider Ethiopian viewers, it’s primarily directed in the direction of the former Ethiopian officers and soldiers. I wish I am writing this article in Amharic. However I am not a “Diaspora” Ethiopian refugee dwelling in relative ease amidst assets. I’m what I call a “Lame bora” Ethiopian refugee with limited assets. Therefore typing in English is quicker and convenient for my state of affairs.
The present state of affairs in our country could be very alarming. As many Ethiopians I was also optimistic about the new political change that was happening in Ethiopia over the past yr. Nevertheless the troubles of that nation are deep rooted. And during the 27 years beneath the TPLF regime, the politics had been structurally engineered to be a ticking time bomb and highly problematic. Until the entire ethnic based mostly political system and administration (including the structure i.e. the blueprint for all the current mess) is critically revised and sane measures are taken, the future of that nation is slightly bleak. The arduous fact
is that, like the Titanic ship, as a nation we could also be on a collision course with a “political iceberg” (or we might have already collided) and it is just a matter of time before we sink into complete chaos. Might almighty God save the nation from such a darkish state of affairs!
The so referred to as EPRDF even with the reformists at the helm is a highly problematic and drunken political physique. It’s full of slender tribal cadres who are truly working towards the new reforms which the PM has been pushing over the past yr. It isn’t only TPLF in Mekele that is hindering the reforms, but in addition many insecure and corrupt cadres and politicians in the different EPRDF sister events as properly. Outdoors EPRDF, there are also highly vocal tribalist politicians and activists with divisive agenda. The varied ethnically demarcated regions have turn out to be more and more tense and inhospitable for those who are thought-about as outsiders of these areas. This has resulted in hundreds of thousands of displaced inner refugees. The social media and YouTube are also full of fanatic tribal “activists” mainly based mostly in the diaspora. Briefly what has been feared for a few years is slowly unfolding before our eyes. It appears we are getting into a season of harvest for what has been sown in the past 27 years by the TPLF. Hence it’s time the unity forces from the opposition camp provide you with new and unique ideas to impede and stop this downward slide to chaos.
It is towards this ominous backdrop that I make this call to members of our former historical Ethiopian defense forces. I highly encourage you to think about forming a brand new Ethiopian political celebration that might be an enormous participant in the political scene of the nation. Such a unity celebration with a “one Ethiopia” motto could possibly be a middle of gravity to appeal to, manage and characterize tens of millions of numerous Ethiopians who need the historical unity of the nation to proceed and be safeguarded. The bulk of Ethiopians have now understood that your sacrifice and wrestle have been to forestall such an evil time from coming upon our nation. I am aware that over the past years some alumni like associations have been shaped to characterize our heroes from the former historical defense forces. The brand new political get together I am suggesting might be shortly shaped by these associations of the former Air drive, Navy and Floor forces. It doesn’t mean that these alumni associations will disappear after creating this political celebration. They might still continue as earlier than. But they might come collectively and take the first initiative to create this huge political social gathering that has the potential to have a whole lot of hundreds of members in a very brief time apart from tens of millions of supporters.
The new change in the nation has allowed opposition political events to perform freely. Hence you must grab this window of alternative and manage yourselves and stand once more in your nation at this crucial hour. This time it won’t be with weapons and tanks but in a fashion the current time requires i.e. in an organized peaceable political wrestle.
Under I’ll enumerate a number of disparate points that would help in the dialogue as well as the cost-benefit analysis of what I’m suggesting.
- The creation of such a brand new political get together could possibly be a recreation changer in the Ethiopian political landscape and would give recent oxygen and new vitality to the unity political forces, thereby making a constructive political dynamics. Hence it might have an enormous position in counteracting the unfavorable results of tribalism and ethnic politics in the country. It’s because whatever their tribal or language background, members of our former protection forces, have been strongly united underneath a “one Ethiopia” banner and have been symbols of nationwide satisfaction and unity.
- This is not a call for the revival of the Derg or the former EWP get together. It’s going to be a completely new get together with none political baggage. Nevertheless former Derg officials in addition to former EWP members, like several Ethiopians ought to have the proper to be a part of the celebration as people. If former EWP members want to revive their previous social gathering, it is their right. Nevertheless this call I’m making has nothing to do with that. Individuals shouldn’t confuse the former historical Ethiopian protection forces with the Derg. It’s true that the Derg was an elite group (that turned a regime) that got here out of the army following the 1966(EC) widespread uprising. Nevertheless simply equating the historical Ethiopian defense forces with the Derg was and is a superb historical mistake. Although Ethiopia in her three thousand years of history had been defended by her many historic fighters and armies, nevertheless the modernized historical Ethiopian armed forces which we’ve got recognized in our era (until it was disbanded in 1983(EC)), had its roots in the military of Emperor Tewodros from the center of the nineteenth century. Therefore Derg happened to be the last Ethiopian authorities or regime to broaden and command this historic Ethiopian pressure.
- The social gathering ought to be based by the former Ethiopian defense officers and soldiers however membership must be open for all Ethiopians and political elites.
- Such a political social gathering might be simply created in a comparatively brief time with the potential of recruiting members by the a whole lot of hundreds. It’s because the number of former troopers and officers and their family members (including families of those that died) could be very giant in both the cities and rural cities. These former members and their households (for numerous historical reasons and household sentiments) can be highly motivated to be a part of such an Ethiopian celebration thereby creating a dedicated robust fan base throughout the nation and the diaspora.
- It has the potential to recruit tens of hundreds of committed members from the diaspora thereby having a robust financial base.
- It has the potential to turn into a highly disciplined get together as a result of of the army background of its members and founders. This is able to have an advantage as its members can turn out to be a committed and powerful political base. It might also have an orderly culture that would reduce the schisms and again door politics which have all the time characterised many Ethiopian political events.
- The celebration can start with main agendas like, reviving the “one Ethiopia” sentiment in the country, placing forward plans to improve the safety of the country and so on. Nevertheless with the assist of the political elites that would be a part of the get together, several political, social and financial plans and policies might be devised that may match with its “one Ethiopia” policy. The get together has the potential to win the affection of hundreds of thousands of Ethiopians (apart from the former defense members and their households) as it might be a logo of historical unity which once the country enjoyed. There’s the nostalgia impact as nicely, as the members of our former defense forces would remind us of the Ethiopia we grew up where individuals saw one another as simply Ethiopians.
- Such a party might also collaborate with other Ethiopian opposition parties who main in unity and citizen based mostly politics. Such a working collaboration might create a formidable political pressure for any potential upcoming national elections.
- The social gathering can have as its agenda the pension rights of the former members of the defense forces. As an alternative of only the alumni associations elevating this problem from time to time in a non-organized approach, the political get together can truly put it as one of its agenda. This also has the advantage of attracting many former members and their families to the get together.
- The formation of such a celebration would do service to the sacrifices of the tens of hundreds of the former defense pressure members and their households (including those officers and troopers who took their own lives). They died for one and united Ethiopia. This get together might proceed and advance the cause for which these heroes died for.
These are steered ideas to assist in the discourse. It is simply an concept. In case you discover it fascinating increase and talk about it at size and let us see where the discussion leads.
As said earlier Emperor Tewodros was the founding father of the modernized historical Ethiopia military (i.e. from the middle of the nineteenth century onwards).The important thing term right here is “modernized”, as a result of earlier than that for 3 000 years, Ethiopia had many historic armies in several eras. However the vision and the sensible steps to modernize the historic Ethiopian military was first taken by Emperor Tewodros. Hence this modernized historical Ethiopian military that begun with Emperor Tewodros continued until 1983(EC) defending the nation from overseas invaders as well as inner separatist groups. It was lastly disbanded by Arab and CIA supported TPLF/EPLF once they came to power at the time when the cold struggle ended.
Additionally it is in the heroism and picture of Emperor Tewodros that our modernized historical military was formed. That is why many excessive rating as well as low rating officers of the former Ethiopian defense pressure dedicated suicide during battles fairly than face surrender. I’m not encouraging suicide but we merely can’t underestimate the psychological influence of “Meyisaw Kassa” in the former Ethiopian armed forces. To offer only one instance, one can’t overlook the emotional eye witness account of Lieutenant Tadesse Tele Salvano in describing the scene when the port metropolis of Massawa was falling to the northern rebels. Brig. Gen. Teshome Tessema standing on the shore of the Purple Sea and in entrance of an assembled group of Ethiopian soldiers and lower officers made a very emotional remaining historic speech saying that he felt very proud to have got the alternative of emulating Atse Tewodros. Then he killed himself by firing his gun and fell into the sea slightly than face give up. According to the eye witness account, around 150 lower officers and soldiers additionally dedicated suicide on the spot following their commander. Shortly after that on the terrace of the Purple Sea Lodge, Col. Belay Aschenaqi sitting on a chair, made yet one more brief last emotional historic speech to a gaggle of few lower officers and soldiers and after turning his face to a close-by church (and made the cross signal) he too killed himself together with his AK47 rifle. He was wrapped in the Ethiopian flag. Such sorts of stories are many and it exhibits the highly effective influence that Emperor Tewodros had on our former historical armed forces and their commanding officers.
I will end this article with an unique inventive print depicting Emperor Tewodros lying on the floor after his suicide in Maqdala. Some British soldiers of the 33rd regiment are shown standing nearby wanting in the direction of the body (see Fig under). A gun could be seen lying next to the body. For many of you this image might be acquainted. I am not positive but I feel I saw this image in a historical guide in Amharic (entitled “From Emperor Tewodors to Emperor HaileSelassie”) by historian Tekle Tsadiq Mekuria which I learn as a boy. As soon as upon a time, somehow I got here to possess this unique vintage wooden engraving and other two antique prints depicting Emperor Tewodros. Wooden engraving is a method of inventive print very fashionable in the nineteenth century Europe. The wood engraving shown in the figure under was printed one yr after the suicide of Emperor Tewodros in Maqdala. It appeared for the first time in a French journey journal entitled “Le Tour du monde” 1869 (GC). The engraving was made by an engraver named Emily Bayard based mostly on a sketch by a British eyewitness in Maqdala. In the nineteen century, ebook and newspaper illustrations have been unique inventive prints using methods like wooden engravings. The mass produced photomechanical reproductions from presses and printing houses that we know immediately began sometime in the first many years of the 20th century and they’re principally copies or facsimiles hence could not be thought-about as unique works of art (I depart the rationalization about wood engraving and different comparable methods to the specialists). In any case this piece of historical print triggered a robust emotion in me the first time I dealt with it and I gazed at it for several minutes. It was reduce from the very page of an 1869 (GC) Le Tour du monde French travel journal. It’s actually a fascinating image especially if you assume you’re holding an unique print from the period. Perhaps if a Museum is based in the future to commemorate the history of this historic Ethiopian pressure, we’ll embrace such unique vintage prints in the assortment. I depart you then with this highly effective image ( It is a photograph I took of the antique print) as you ponder my call to create a political get together that might characterize the “one Ethiopia” sentiment of Emperor Tewodros in addition to many of your comrades who drunk the cup of Meysaw Kassa.
ወደፊት በሉለት ይለይለት!
ኢትዮጵያ ትቅደም !
እግዚአብሔር ኢትዮጵያን ይባርክ!
July 5, 2019
Fig. Emperor Tewodros after his suicide in Maqdala